Family Law helps people resolve issues in life events pertaining to one’s relationships.  A divorce or custody dispute, are stressful and clients need support.  The Gray Firm offers family representation to help in difficult family matters, “as well as” free consultations.
Mediation is cost-effective to resolve problems from divorce, custody, and support.  Divorce in New Jersey does not require either party to provide grounds- it is a “no fault” divorce state.

Post-nuptial agreements
Pre-marital agreements
Legal separation
Name change
Domestic Violence
Modifications to child custody or child support orders
Post-judgment disputes
Marital debt allocation
Property/asset distribution
Custodial parent relocation
Third party visits
Child support/visitation

Questions you may have about Custody and visitation?

What is Custody?
This means to be in charge of someone.  There are two kinds of custody: Physical and legal.

Physical Custody is when an adult is responsible for a child and takes care of the child most of the time.

Legal Custody is when an adult has the responsibility of making important decisions- such as medical or religious decisions- about the life of a child.

Who has custody of a child if there is no court order?
Unless a court makes another decision, parents have equal rights to physical and legal custody of the child.

Other questions the Gray Firm could answer and help with are as follows:

What is joint custody?

How do I file (ask for) custody or visitation?

Do I have to go to court to get custody or visitation?

Who can file for custody?

Why would I file for custody?

I am a parent.  How will a judge decide custody of my child?

Will my child get a say in who gets custody?

What if things change after the judge makes an order?

I am not a parent.  How will a judge decide custody of the child?

I do not want custody, but I want to see my child.  How do I do this?

Why would the court not allow a parent to visit a child?

Can I visit my child if he or she is in foster care?

Can I ask for visitation with a child if I am not the parent?

What happens if there is an order of protection and a visitation order?

If the parent without custody is not paying child support, can I stop the visits?

What can I do if the other parent does not follow the visitation order?

Can I choose who I want to take care of my children if something happens to me?

Either party in a child support case is allowed to object about support orders.  If you disagree with your final child support order, you can ask the court to look at the facts or your case again.  This is called filing an objection.

Will the same judge review my case?
No.  The person who made the child support order was a support magistrate.  Support magistrates are called hearing examiners as well, and make decisions about child support cases.  Other questions the Gray Firm can advise you on:

What do I need to file an objection?

How do I file an objection?

Will the court want any other information?

How do I get a transcript?

What is the deadline to file an objection?

Do I have to pay child support if I am objecting to the order?

What if I disagree with an objection that was filed?

How do I file a rebuttal?

How long does it take for the judge to review my case?

How will I know what the judge decides?

What if I disagree with the decision to the objection and rebuttal?

The Gray Firm wants to hear your story about Custody/child support and will help with many varied intricate formalities of family law.